Monday, October 22, 2007

Rough night

We had a very nice afternoon with Tia Ana and Tio Rich. James amused us all!

It seemed like a normal night, until 10pm when James woke up crying. (He did this the night before too, but after a shushing and patting he went to sleep within a minute.) Jim went to check on him this time, picked him up and he stopped crying. But he continued to cry after he was put down. He cried for an hour and a half. I changed his diaper, checked on him every 15 minutes, changed his pajamas (maybe he was uncomfortable?)- but nothing worked. He wasn't cold and didn't feel warm. Jim wanted to give him a bottle, thinking he was hungry, but James hasn't needed a bottle at night in months. Also, I didn't want to start that habit. With "Cry It Out" you don't pick him up, you check on him every 10-15 minutes until he stops crying. Jim couldn't take it so he went downstairs, where he couldn't hear James as well. I had the monitor turned down really low but I watched the monitor light up with every cry. He wasn't screaming or doing the ugly cry, but just a constant sad cry. Believe me, I was worried about James and couldn't sleep until I knew he was okay. Eventually he fell asleep on his own, but it took too long. I felt like a terrible Mama but I think in the long run, it was for the best. I don't think I can go back to waking up in the middle of the night to give him a bottle, etc.

Of course James woke up promptly at 6am! I was exhausted but I got up and dressed him, and took him downstairs for a bottle. Luckily, he cooperated and held his own bottle as I rushed around and got dressed. He was happy as can be this morning. I don't think he remembered last night.

I told Sandra this morning that James had a rough night and he might be a little tired this morning. I think he'll be fine!

Well, wish us luck for tonight! We're going back to our bedtime baths, so maybe that will help. His diaper rash and his back have cleared up.

No comments:

Post a Comment