Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A sack of sugar!

James might already be as big as a 5 lb sack of sugar! Holy! I had my first weekly appointment at the hospital this morning. First, I had an ultrasound where they did a series of measurements (weight/length estimate, "practice" breathing movements, regular movement, heartbeat, etc). James got a score of 8 out of 8, whatever that means! This is when the ultrasound tech told me that he was measuring ahead weight-wise at 35 weeks, 5 lbs and something ounces. I didn't hear the ounces because I was in shock. I hope this isn't bad news. I won't see my doctor until next Friday where I'm sure I'll hear more about what this means.

I asked the ultrasound tech about printing out more ultrasound pictures but there wasn't a good opportunity this time. She said next week we'll try again. She couldn't get a good shot of his face/head because his arm was resting across his face.

The next part of the appointment was up in the Labor & Delivery area of the hospital. I was put in a hospital room, told to lie on the bed, and they hooked me up to two monitors- James heartbeat and then to check for contractions. James doesn't move around much in the morning and they found that out for sure. Half an hour into the monitoring they made me drink a lemon-lime soda to get him moving around. It worked for a little bit. They monitored me for a total of 90 minutes and then said everything was okay.

I've just recently started feeling James' hiccups and they were able to hear them on the heartbeat monitor too. Everytime he hiccuped, the monitor went a little crazy. It was cute :)

So no part of the appointment was terrible. I wasn't expecting it to be but its nice to get used to the hospital and/or the nurses. Everyone was very nice and friendly. The only bad thing is that I now feel very groggy (soda?) and tired from laying around for 2 1/2 hours.

I'm so hungry all the time. I haven't really cheated too much on my diet, but now I know that I can't even have a bite of Jim's Dairy Queen anymore :( James might get too big.

Upcoming: We're almost done with James' nursery! We just have to put together the dresser and hang the curtains. All the big things are done! Now all we need are diapers and things like that! WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment