Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend blahs

It was just an okay weekend. On Saturday I was very excited to go with friends for a Girls Day of pedicures and brunch. It was so relaxing and wonderful. I expected to go home and find James safely napping. Well, he had woken up early and was very irritable and sick. It was weird because his sickness only lasted for an hour- runny nose, whiny, clingy, cough. In that hour I felt very upset that I had left that morning, even though he was in the most wonderful, capable hands of his Dada. Just that morning he was a great baby when Jim, James, and Grandma Laura went to breakfast. So the sickness was a great mystery. I was scared that it was leading up to another ear infection, so we kept a close eye on him.

The rest of the day proved to be normal. James played, ate, and then slept well at night. Sunday morning we surprised Dada with breakfast, and then Dada went and ran errands (grocery shopping and such). He came back to a cranky baby again, following his nap. We again kept a close eye on him but he was back to normal quickly.

Well, Sunday night was not a good night for sleep. Again, James woke up probably 3-4 times. The first time I let him cry for a few minutes to see if he would just go back to sleep. I could tell his throat/voice was hoarse so I did get up and check on him. I brought cold water, gave him Motrin, changed his diaper, and rocked him for a bit. I did my usual bedtime routine of saying goodnight to everything in the room, and then laid him down. All was quiet for a few minutes and then crying. Off and on for 90 minutes, and two times checking on him. Finally Jim grabbed a blanket and pillow and slept on James' floor. I'm sure this comforts James, but it can't be a permanent solution. I hope tonight will be smooth and silent. I don't think Jim wants to sleep on the floor every night.

Some recent cute things: Last week Sandra told me that James started saying "Sandra". Of course he doesn't say it on cue :)

I mentioned that I have a nightly ritual of saying goodnight to everything in James' room. We say goodnight to the closet light, the closet door, the neighbors (Erica & Spencer, Drew & Drake), the sky, the moon, the window, the window shade, the hamper, and last TMX Elmo (we also kiss him). Well, the other night I went through this long list but forgot Elmo. James did his "Ehhhhhh!" (standard question sound for everything) and pointed to Elmo. Oops! We said goodnight to Elmo and all was well. It just showed me that James is on top of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment